Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My 3 year old boxer-chocolate lab mix was playing at the dog

Customer Question

my 3 year old boxer-chocolate lab mix was playing at the dog park yesterday and a doberman pup (9 months) was wrestling and nipping at him. This morning I noticed a spot on his neck that I thought was from a nip, no puncture but pink with his hair missing. Through out the day it became quite swollen and has gone from egg size to orange size. He was just scratching the spot and drew blood and it is now very sensitive to the touch. I put peroxide on it and polysporin. He has no fever and is acting ok. Have an appt. at his vet tomorrow morning, but I am wondering if this needs immediate attention.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

So sorry to hear that your dog has this swelling. The fact it is growing so swiftly is a concern but if he is acting well, eating, no difficulty breathing then you can monitor tonight.

I would advise checking a rectal temperature even if he is not feeling like he is running a fever because if he is >103.5 then he should be seen tonight. If the area is painful with palpation then I would consider a veterinary er.

I would limit the peroxide which studies have shown can delay wound healing not encourage it and limit the polysporin as well since it can trap in moisture and if this is an abscess limit its ability to drain.

The size does worry me, the fact it has grown exponentially today. If he does become lethargic, difficulty breathing or swallowing, the area is painful, reduced appetite, or fever then I would advise a veterinary er tonight versus waiting until morning

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you tonight...

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today! I am online another 30 minutes tonight if I can be of any further assistance

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Good morning, I am checking in to see how your dog did last night? Did you have to go into the er or were you able to get him in this morning? I would love and update when you are able...

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!