Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience in general practice.
21779527

My female english bulldog just got ves today. While on her

Customer Question

My female english bulldog just got hives today . While on her heat . She is due to be inseminated on Thursday . If I take her to get steroids to heal the hives . Will it affect her from not getting successfully pregnant?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 13 years.

Steroids are a bad idea at any stage of pregnancy short of the last 24 hours just before the puppies birth so I would stay away from those.

Benadryl is fine to try... I would start with that. If it doesn't work then you will have to weigh her health with the risk to the pregnancy in order to decide if you are going to use the steroids.

Dr. Stacy

If you have additional questions, please ask. If not, please rate my answer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She's not pregnant yet . She will be inseminated this Thursday . Will the steroids affect her from not getting pregnant ? Or affect the sperm from the male . Is it fine to give her a shot of steroids at this point ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just want to know if giving a shot of steroids will affect her from being able to get pregnant in two days from now ????
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello? Dr.
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 1 year ago.

The steroids could effect her ability to conceive. I would avoid them.

Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 1 year ago.

And some steroids stay in their system long enough to still be present a few days from now so it could be a concern on Thursday.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay thanks . Do you know if the percentage is high for her not to concieve ?
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 1 year ago.

There's no way to put a number on it... No one has ever done that kind of research. But I would say a single dose of short acting steroids, such as prednisone, probably has minimal impact, but multiple doses or longer acting steroids, such as triamcinolone, would have a bigger effect.