DrMelJ
DrMelJ, Veterinarian
Experience:  graduate of the University of MN College of Vet Med
24095035

MY DOG IS SHIVERING AND VOMITING, SHE HAS VOMITED 3 TOMES IN

Customer Question

MY DOG IS SHIVERING AND VOMITING, SHE HAS VOMITED 3 TOMES IN LAST HOUR.
WHAT SHOULD I DO
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 1 year ago.

HI there. Thanks for the question. Let me see if I can help.

There are a few things that could cause the vomiting you are seeing.

- ingestion of a foreign body- could she have eaten soemthing she shouldnt have? like a toy or sock? If so, I highly recommend getting to a vet soon as a foreign body that is not digestible could block the GI tract and require surgery to remove it

- fever and infection- you can check her temp using a human digital thermometer. Lube it with vaseline and insert gently into the rectum. If the temp is greater than 102 F then she has a fever and needs to get to the vet right away for bloodwork and an exam.

- pancreatitis or GI upset- most often this occurs from eating human food or getting into the trash or eating a dead mouse etc outside. If you think this might be the case, you can try the following. Hold off of all food for the next 4-5 hours. Try to encourage some fluid intake like a teaspoon or so of water every hour. If vomiting subsides over the course of the 5 hours , offer some bland food like human chicken baby food- 1-2 teaspoons. If she keeps that down continue to offer a few teaspoons every hour. If she is still doing well in 24 hours, you cna transition back to her regular food. if at any time, she can not keep water down, refuses to drink or eat, or continues to vomit and dry heave even with no food, then you need to get her to a vet. Small dogs get dehydrated very quickly.

I hope this helps. best of luck.