Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have a scottish terrier that chews s feet so badly that he

Customer Question

I have a scottish terrier that chews his feet so badly that he is chewing off the hair. I believe he has allergies. I have changed his food to no grain, he has been on it about 3 weeks and I don't see a difference, so I really don't believe it is the food. I think he has inhalant allergies. So that being said. I have ordered and will be starting a regime of bathing him in Zymox shampoo and conditioner (recommended by my groomer). Other treatment options are Supplements, Omega 3 and Omega 6 Fatty acids. Do you recommend this supplemental regime to help his itching? Also I have tried Benadryl but it doesn't seem to help. Atarax was recommended in an article I read. Do you know any thing about this? How much to give to a 20 lb dog and are there side affects, long term. Please help me find relieve for my poor dog. I read immunotherapy and it is only 70% to 75%successful.. It may be my last choice if all this fails.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I can help you with your question today.

Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

Poor little Fergus sounds so uncomfortable!

Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

I think there are probably at least a couple different things contributing to his itch.

Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

I agree there is likely an underlying allergy, which can be an environmental allergy or a food allergy. We have not yet ruled out food as a cause, and I'll explain why.

Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

First, most dogs are not allergic to grains themselves. They are allergic to a protein source. Although grains do have some proteins in them, the meat is often the culprit. For example, chicken is one of the most common food allergies in pets. Rather than switching him to a grain free food, it would be best to try him on a hypoallergenic food such as Hills Z/D, Purina HA, or Royal Canin HP.

Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

Then, it can take 12-16 weeks before we see the full effect of the food - 3 weeks is not nearly long enough for a trial. Also, there can be no other human food or treats (unless they are specifically hypoallergenic treats) during this time.

Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

Another reason he may still be itching is that dogs with allergies as their primary problem frequently develop secondary bacterial or yeast infections from inflammation, itching and chewing at themselves. These secondary infections are ALSO itchy, so we must control BOTH the secondary infections as well as the primary allergy to resolve the itching.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
go on
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You are not addressing my questions. please refund my money. I am contacting my bank to stop payment for 28 I thought you would address my questions.
Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

I haven't finished yet. Itchy dogs are complex. Do you want to hear the rest?

Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

Hello?