petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience caring for dogs and cats
21300550

My 11 year old beagle is unable to stand as of today.

Customer Question

My 11 year old beagle is unable to stand as of today. Yesterday she fell over while I was preparing her meal. She had been favoring her left front leg for the past week. Now, she will not eat and has defecated where she had been sleeping (under our garden shed where she always goes when it rains). There are no emergency vets where I live. I don't want her to suffer through the night, especially in the rain. I am on hydrocodone/apap 10/350 for degenerative arthritis. Can I give her hydrocodone without killing her or should I do the merciful thing and end her life?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response. I recently just logged onto the site and noted that your question hasn't yet been answered. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years’ experience and would be happy to work with you if you are still needing assistance.

Has there been any changes in Sissy's condition? If so, can you update me as to what is happening now?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She has been resting comfortably. She was able to get up and turn herself in her bed during the night. I have been checking on her every hour. But as far as trying to walk, she still doesn't try. She still will not eat. I even tried her favourite dog snack and she just turned her nose up at it.
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the update.

Her symptoms sound suspicious of a possible disc problem in her back. A ruptured or bulging disc can put pressure on the spinal cord and lead to pain or even loss of function of her legs. Beagles are commonly affected by this condition. I would definitely recommend that you have her evaluated by your vet for this and to make sure there may not be something else going on. If it is a disc, rest and pain medication are the primary form of treatment, but some dogs end up needing surgical intervention.

Here is a link with more information about disc disease in dogs.

LINK HERE

I would not recommend that you give her any further ibuprofen as it is not tolerated well in dogs and can damage her kidneys. Make sure to tell your vet that you gave that so that they can decide the safest pain medication for her with that in mind.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be discussed or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z