Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

My dog smells bad after coming in from outside. After a few

Customer Question

My dog smells bad after coming in from outside. After a few minutes it goes away. What is that? Could it be from the mist they emit from their hair follicles?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 1 year ago.

Hello there. I am happy to help you this evening. The smell dogs emit from being outside is usually related to the oils and dirt and bacteria that naturally lives on their skin and their fur. It reacts with the sun light, the air, the wind, and the moisture outside. Then when they come in the smell dissipates from being inside and no longer smells that way. This is completely normal and as long as it goes away when she comes in then nothing to be concerned about.

I hope this helps and I hope this makes sense. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. It was a 2 part question tho. Does that smell have anything to do with the cooling type mist that's emitted from their hair follicles? I always thought that the way they cool down was from panting (the cooler the air the faster the heat exchange/transfer) also by getting wet or by drinking water. And if they sweat from their pads then that should be handled like an emergency and to take action asap. I just recently read about the hair follicles emitting a fine mist that isn't exactly sweating but it is sort of similiar. If that is true then wouldn't that cause an odor as well and possibly contribute to her smell when she comes in from outside?

I honestly have never heard of this fine mist being emitted from their hair follicles. Anatomically they do not have glands that would emit a fine mist. They do have oil glands in their skin but no such fine mist is emitted. Also they do sweat from their pads when they are hot and when they are nervous so it is not necessarily a sign of emergency unless there is any chance of them being to hot such as being locked in a car or being outside to long in extreme heat. With this being said I do not believe that this is contributing to the odor.