Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have a 14 year old Dalmatian who has great difficulty

Customer Question

I have a 14 year old Dalmatian who has great difficulty getting up from her bed. She shows a reluctance some times to walk more than 200-300 yards. On the other hand, she often bounds about like a youngster when returning from a walk. Any advice on how we might make getting up easier for her; and how do you envisage her current condition will change in the months ahead?
Martin Peacock
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. My suspicion is that she Button has some significant arthritis. I am not sure what Yomove is, but I would definitely have her on a glucosamine/chondroitin supplement if you haven't already. A brand made for dogs, such as Cosequin, Dasuquin and Nutri-Vet would be best. In some cases, the glucosamine supplement isn't enough. Most of these dogs benefit a lot from putting them on an anti-inflammatory medication, such as Rimadyl and even a pain medication called Tramadol in addition to the glucosamine. Your vet can prescribe these. Any time you use an anti-inflammatory regularly, it is recommended to check liver and kidney enzymes first to make sure there are no occult abnormalities in these organs. Dogs with very severe arthritis and have a lot of difficulty getting up, do very well with Adequan injections. It helps to protect the cartilage and give inflammatory control as well. I have seen some dogs who can barely walk, get up and move around like they were a few years younger even after the first injection. It is about as close to a miracle drug as I have seen. I would talk to your vet to see if it may be a good choice for Button as well. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

DISCLAIMER: My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.