Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience in general practice.
21779527

My dog ate raw chicken that sat out 24 hours

Customer Question

My dog ate raw chicken that sat out for about 24 hours
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 13 years.

Raw chicken, especially after sitting out, can carry Salmonella so there is some reason to be concerned. And if the chicken contained bones there is some potential for the bones to cause irritation to the intestine. However, the vast majority of the time salmonella causes mild to no symptoms in dogs. The most common thing it causes is diarrhea. I don't think there is anything you need to do at this point other than monitor her. If you see fever, lethargy, or diarrhea then take her to a veterinarian to start some antibiotics. We would not recommend antibiotics unless there are symptoms.

Dr. Stacy

If you have additional questions, please ask me. I will be happy to respond. If you have no additional questions, please rate my answer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much. Is there any chance if she does have an infection it can be passed on to us or our other dog? If she has an infection about how long until symptoms will start appearing?
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 1 year ago.

If she dose have an infection it could be passed in a fecal to oral manner. So I would just wash your hands after picking up stool or if she has stool on her coat. They will usually show symptoms in a matter of days (maybe 2-5 days), but if they do become ill they can shed salmonella in the stool for several weeks. (3-6 weeks)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Looks like my husband, who left the chicken out, is going to have a job to for the next month or so! Thanks for your time and info. Have a great afternoon!
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 1 year ago.

Best wishes!