Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

I have a 8 year old beagle basset mix an all of a sudden he

Customer Question

i have a 8 year old beagle basset mix an all of a sudden he caint walk on his back legs he can try but he falls from side to side so he pulls his self he is in no pain an no injury marks what so ever like he has a spinal problem its so sad
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your Beagle. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

This could be a spine problem, such as a bulging disc in his back putting pressure on the spinal cord. We see this in certain breeds more than others, and Beagles are one of the breeds prone to this. Usually there is no fall or accident, it just happens.

He does need to get to a veterinarian, for anti inflammatory medication and sometimes muscle relaxants help. Often rest and medication is all that is needed, but if he can't walk at all this might be more serious. Some dogs need surgery or they do not walk again

Can he move his back legs at all? If you touch his toes, does he feel them can you tell? If he is dragging his hind legs behind him I would get him to your veterinarian as soon as possible.

Let me know how he is doing and what else I can answer for you. Rebecca

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

How is your Beagle doing? I hope you were able to see what I sent.

Kindly consider rating my answer; you can still get back to me with questions and updates after rating. Rating my answer is the only way the website knows to credit me for answering your question. Please do let me know how he is. Rebecca