Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience in general practice.
21779527

My 1 .5 ib ate my 1 mg lorazapam pil will it hurt her?

Customer Question

my 1 .5 ib ate my 1 mg lorazapam pil will it hurt her?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 13 year.

This is a very high dose of lorazepam for such a small dog. It will likely cause confusion and sleepiness. It could cause a drop in blood pressure which is dangerous. While death is not likely, low blood pressure and even coma is possible at that dose. Ideally I would want to make her vomit up the pill before she has the opportunity to absorb much of it. Vomiting is safest induced with apomorphine at a veterinary clinic. Can you take her to an emergency clinic? If you are unable to get to a clinic you can try 1tsp of hydrogen peroxide. It can induce vomiting, but there is a small risk of aspiration when you choose this route. If you try the peroxide and she does not vomit, do not give more... it can be very irritating to the stomach.

I hope that helps, but if you have additional questions please let me know.