Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

I have a rat terrier that I am positive has diabetes, she

Customer Question

I have a rat terrier that I am positive has diabetes, she has every symptom but vomitting but we can't afford a vet right now...I have changed her food to a high fiber dry dog food and higher fiber dog treats
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that your dog has symptoms of diabetes. She will need an exam sooner than later to ensure that something really bad like diabetic ketoacidosis befalls her. High fiber is a great start to help her control her blood sugar, but most dogs need insulin as well.

I also can understand that you have financial concerns. Do you have a local humane society near you? They often have a full service veterinary hospital open to the public that is usually less expensive than general practices. You also can consider Care Credit. This is a health care credit card that you can use for yourself and your pets. Lastly, the ASPCA has an entire page dedicated to folks who want to help others with their vet bills. Check that page out at https://www.aspca.org/about-us/faq/financial-help-my-vet-bills.

Best regards, ***** ***** this answer helps you.

Feel free to contact me if you have any more questions.

Dr. Amanda

Kansas State University,

College of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2001

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

How is your dog this evening? Were you able to find low cost veterinary services near you?

Do you have any more questions for me?

If you are satisfied with my assistance, please take a moment to use the stars at the top of the page to rate my answer so that I will be compensated for helping you today. For future questions, you can find me here: http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=88695179&FID=0

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Biscuit. How is everything going?
Amanda Mouradian-Dar