Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My dog and puppy got into ant and bug killer early today and

Customer Question

my dog and puppy got into ant and bug killer early today and now there acting real sick what can I do for now
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist all of you today!

Can you please give me the name of the product, the ages and breeds of your dogs, and what symptoms they are showing? Thank you

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Luckily most of these products are not toxic to pets but can cause gi upset and gi distress. I can give you some basic guidelines for tonight as well as symptoms that require more urgent care below.

First, please remove water if either are actively vomiting. If there is continued actively vomiting we want to minimize anything orally to stop the nausea and abdominal cramping resulting in vomiting. I know the thought is to drink to maintain hydration but if there is active vomiting even water he is becoming more dehydrated with water intake.

If there is no improvement then please consider having your dog seen by a veterinarian sooner rather than later. They can give injectable medications to bypass the intestinal tract and hopefully get the nausea under control

1- Keep indoors to avoid eating grass/ leaves until morning

2- Offer a small amount of water (1-2 teaspoons hourly) for a few hours in the morning

3- Start Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg/ pound every 12 hours OR prilosec (omeprazole) 0.5 mg/ pound daily for the next 3 days with the second administration of water (crushed if needed)

4-If no vomiting, offer small amount of white rice and boiled boneless or ground chicken or ground beef. For example, one tablespoon hourly for a few hours then slowly start to increase the amount while reducing the frequency. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

5- If vomiting continues after doing the above, I would encourage having your family veterinarian perform an examination to determine the next step to getting them both comfortable.

Indications your dog should be seen by a veterinary er sooner include: sticky gums that are pale, yellow, blue, purple, temperature rectally >103.5, progressive lethargy with less responsiveness to you, vomiting or diarrhea that includes blood, resting respiratory rate (breaths per minute) >60, swollen abdomen.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today, I am online another 30 minutes to assist you both

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses, please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you all today, I am online another 15 minutes...

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Good evening, I wanted to check in on you and your dogs to see how they fared after you asked your question and reviewed my responses last night? Did the symptoms subside? I would love an update when you are able...

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman