Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog may have eaten a condom? He's a mini schnauzer.

Customer Question

Hi, my dog may have eaten a condom? He's a mini schnauzer.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. Even with his small size, there shouldn't be any reason for this to not be able to pass through his intestinal tract. I would feel safe watching him for any vomiting and lack of appetite. If any of those issues are seen, then I would be worried about an obstruction. It is possible that you could see mild vomiting or even some bloody stools. As long as the vomiting is more than a couple times, he retains his appetite and there isn't much blood in the stool (and it only last for a day); he should be fine. If you do notice anything more severe than that, then get him to your vet ASAP. There shouldn't be a toxicity concern, if that is what you are worried about. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

DISCLAIMER: My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.