Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

My 12 yr old Lab Pepper, is acting funny. He won't eat or

Customer Question

My 12 yr old Lab Pepper, is acting funny. He won't eat or drink. I noticed the problem after our walk this afternoon. He was really slow and sluggish on our walk, so we didn't go far. I'm trying to narrow down what it could be and I used bactine on his lick spot last night. I think he may have licked it off. I also started him on a green lipped mussel supplement 2 days ago. Didn't give him any today. He is getting up from time to time and he peed about 1/2 ago. I was going to watch him through the night and take him to the vet in the morning.
Please advise
Deb Moran
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 1 year ago.

hello there. I am sorry to hear about Pepper. I am happy to help you this evening. The major concern is that a dog his age acting so lethargic can mean some pretty serious things. Lethargy, not eating and drinking are signs that should be addressed as soon as possible. If you can have him seen tonight that would be best. Waiting until morning can be troublesome if he worsens. The things we worry about in older labs is liver and kidney issues but also worry about tumors in the abdomen that can start bleeding and make them lethargic and not feel good very quickly. This is unfortunately more common than people thing. If that is the case then surgery can remove the bleeding mass and on occasion they can be benign masses and surgery is curative. Otherwise a thorough exam and blood work will be needed to figure out what is going on. Again if you can have him seen tonight by your vet or an emergency vet would be best. At his age the faster he can be seen the better chances to get him feeling better sooner.

I hope this helps and I hope this makes sense. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the quick response. Just to clarify, you don't think the bactine or supplement would have caused this

No i would not believe for those to cause an issue in him.

You are welcome and please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. I'm going to keep an eye on him, vet in am.

You are very welcome. I hope he feels better very soon