Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I have my relatives dog that got many puncture wounds from

Customer Question

Hello, I have my relatives dog that got many puncture wounds from being attacked by coyotes. The punctures are very deep and in both shoulders,, This happened around 4 days ago. My Cuz. took the dog to a Vet to be checked and they gave him "Cephalexin and Novox" My Cuz droped the dog off to me last night to watch for the week because they are gone on vacation.. I am worried about the amount of fluid coming out of the punctures and the smell... I plan to take the Collie back to the Vet tomorrow. But what can I do tonight? Can I try to flush the punctures with Hydrogen pr-oxide ?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello Steve,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Steve and thanks for waiting.

Sorry to hear about Sadie's problems, however I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Animal bites of all sorts do tend to get infected and the usual course of action would be a course of antibiotics, Cephalexin is first class for this purpose by the way.

2. Sometimes even with antibiotics it can take some time to get things under control so anything extra you can do would be useful, for example irrigating the wounds with hydrogen peroxide is an option, this could well help. Also consider washing the wounds with luke warm salt water, dabbing them dry with clean kitchen paper and then applying the likes of Neosporin deep into the wounds.

With perseverance the majority of bite wounds such as Sadie has will eventually clear up ...

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again Steve,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the bite wounds

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I decided Sunday night to check Sady into a Vet. on Monday morning... Through the Night the Smell got worse. The vet ended up cutting and installing drain tubes into her wounds lower in her body so the fluid could drain. He also flushed the wounds out,, I also choose to leaver her Monday night to get the wounds flushed again today "Tuesday" to give her the best chance to try and recover.. I thank you for your opinion,, I was lost on what to do and worried about my cousins dog. I feel I made the best choice on taking her into the vet, when I did,, Thanks again.

Hi Steve,

You certainly did the right thing ...

I hope Sadie recovers quickly,

Regards,

Dr Scott