Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

I have a 50 lb black lab. The vet gave me atopica 5 nights

Customer Question

I have a 50 lb black lab. The vet gave me atopica 5 nights ago and I gave him one night..seemed fine...2cnd night threw it up. I stopped it after reading scary reviews.
I want to give him a benedryl for he is itching and licking from allergies. How much can I give him tonight and will it react to atopica I gave him four. If hits ago? I have children's benedryl dissolve tablets.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 1 year ago.

Hello there. I am sorry to hear about your guy. I am happy to help you this evening. Atopica is a great medication for dogs with allergic atopy. It unfortunately can have some side effects and vomiting is one of them. They have shown that freezing the pills will reduce the rate of vomiting in your dog if you want to try that. Other side effects are rare and you want to be careful what you read online. People can post whatever they want and people only usually post negative things and not about the thousands and thousands of dogs that benefit from atopica every day without an issue. You can absolutely give benadryl with atopica without an issue. The dose is 1 mg per pound by mouth every 8 hours. If your dog continues to vomit on the atopica discuss with your vet. But again benadryl is fine to give at this time.

I hope this helps and I hope this makes sense. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have children's Claritin chewable a non drowsy 5 mg...I thought that was too much to give him!!
I can't give him 10 of these to scared? Would 2 help?
With food?

Claritin is not the same as benadryl. The dose is completely different. The dose is 5 to 10 mg for every 2.2 lbs your dog weighs. The dose in dogs of antihistamines is significantly higher than in dogs. If your dog weighs 50 lbs then your pet will need 2.5 to 5 of these tablets and start once daily. Since they are chewable childrens tablets make sure they do not contain the sweetener Xylitol as this is toxic to dogs. If it does do not use these tablets.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It says loratadine 5 mg/antihistamineInactive ingredients does NOT say xyitolChildren's Claritin chewables

That is good then. You can use that with your dog.

Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!