Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

Antidote eating jellied filled dark chocolates

Customer Question

antidote for dogs eating jellied filled dark chocolates
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I can help you with your question today. How long ago could they have eaten the chocolates?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A FEW HOURS 5
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
WHY ARE U CHARGING ANOTHER $18.?
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. It appears that we've not been able to connect for a live chat with you so far. I'd like to check and see how your dogs are doing.

Without knowing exactly how much chocolate was ingested by each dog, it's not going to be possible for me to say if any ingested a toxic amount. The good news is that typically the chocolate coating on filled candies doesn't usually amount to a toxic dose unless the dog was small and they ate a large amount. This is possible, say, if your smallest dog at all the candies himself or herself. I see that you've listed at least 2 dogs (I'm not entirely sure from your description), but if they all split the candies up, that's even better in terms of them being less likely to get sick. There aren't any antidotes at home. If dogs have ingested a toxic dose of chocolate we typically recommend induction of vomiting, but it's been too long now for that. If you see any tremoring, seizures, shaking, or severe vomiting or diarrhea, then I'd suggest seeking veterinary care.

Please let us know how your critters are doing and what other questions we can answer for you.

~Dr. Sara