Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My weineriner ate a fresh kill rabit at 3:00 am Tuesday

Customer Question

My weineriner ate a fresh kill rabit at 3:00 am Tuesday night when I let him out to pee. He ate the entire rabit. It took him 1 hour. Now on Sunday, being 5 days later, he's trying hard to pass it. The last 2 nights he had me up 2 to 3 times and all I can see coming out is drips of very watery diarrhea. He did have an accident with this mud colored diarrhea & it was very strong smelling.
Is there anything I can do or give him to help him pass the rabbit fur etc.?
His appitite is fine. He's not lethargic.
Thank you for ant advise you can give me.
Lynn Cosner
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

He should be able to pass the rabbit, but those bones can be difficult to pass when they are not digested down fully. We can see this straining to defecate and some diarrhea and rectal bleeding.

To help them move a little easier, I like to bulk up the diet in these dogs. To do this, you can take the dog's normal daily food amount and split it into 3-4 small meals to give every 6-8 hours. This will help keep things moving. The other thing you can do, is add some canned pumpkin to the diet. The extra fiber can help. Enemas are sometimes needed as well, but this would be done at a vet clinic.

If you notice any vomiting or anorexia, then get the dog seen to make sure there is no obstruction or perforation. It would be uncommon, but it's something to keep an eye on for the next 2-3 days.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.