Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

45lb dog ate a 20mg escitalopram pill. What to do?

Customer Question

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago did he eat this?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I have not heard back from you. Still, with time ticking, I do want to leave my thoughts for your return.

Now this is a medication we do use at a very low dose in dogs on rare occasion. Still, the dose your wee one has had is quite significant for his size.Therefore, we do have the risks of adverse signs here. Specifically, this drug can cause wobbliness, lethargy, weakness, vocalization, and tremors.

Therefore, we would be best to err on the side of caution here for your wee one. If it has been <2 hours and he has no signs of lethargy yet, then we can induce vomiting now. To do so, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe,turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorhpine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues.
As well or alternatively (especially if we are in the 2-8 hour post ingestion time frame), you can also consider administering activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version, not the one for gas) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Overall, this is a fairly high dose for a dog this size. Therefore, we'd be best to use the above to help reduce the effects of this drug in your dog's system and the risk of adverse effects.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )