Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My 80 lb. dog ate about 1 1/2 fox of mild pork tamales while

Customer Question

My 80 lb. dog ate about 1 1/2 fox of mild pork tamales while we were out last night. It included some of the corn husks as well. Should I do anything? I'm worried, but she is not acting sick...
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern for Annie but glad she doesn't appear to experiencing any issues thus far.

Any of the ingredients in the tamales such as onion and/or garlic wouldn't be present in sufficient quantities to cause any toxicity issues for her if this is one concern you have.

As far as the corn husks are concerned, I wouldn't expect them to cause any obstruction problems since she's a large dog (not a Yorkie in other words) although I suppose this is always a consideration. Signs to monitor for a possible obstruction include vomiting, lethargy, disinterest in food and/or abdominal pain. As to when these signs might be seen, much depends on how quickly the corn husks leave her stomach. Transit time may be rapid or they may sit in her stomach for a while before moving into her intestines....so it might be 24 hours or longer.

I wouldn't be surprised if she developed diarrhea in 12-24 hours after ingestion of the tamales, though, which a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice should resolve within a few days.

I would encourage feeding her more fiber such as whole wheat bread or an additional meal to help move things along and monitor her stools for evidence of the husks.

But, in most cases, these patients will pass these offending objects with no issues whatsoever which is what I'd expect in this case.

I hope this helps to reassure you that more than likely, she'll be just fine. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hi Connie,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Annie. How is everything going?
Dr. Deb
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

I'm just following up on Annie. How is she doing? Deb