Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

My dog began Regurigitate after taking Zantac, it wax

Customer Question

My dog began Regurigitate after taking Zantac , it wax stomach acid then he aspirated the regurgitation and now has pneumonia he is on 5 antibiotics my vet wants to operate due to
A barium exray Help
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that Oliver is sick. Just to clarify, I am going to talk about the sequence of events that led you to the vet this morning:

First- why did you start giving Oliver zantac? Was he vomiting already at home? Does he like to eat stuff he shouldn't?

Next- aspiration pneumonia is common in dogs that have vomiting. Their larynx doesn't close tightly like ours does. The antibiotics that I would use are Enrofloxacin (Baytril) and Clindamycin for pneumonia. But these may be several times a day, so it looks like more.

If a dog is vomiting, we have to figure out why. A barium series is a great way to determine if a dog has an intestinal blockage. If your vet is recommending surgery, I would suspect that the barium stopped moving through the intestines indicating a blockage. Without surgery, most dogs will die from a blockage.

What other questions do you have? How can I help you decide what is best for your dog?

I will be on-line for about another hour and then will be back this afternoon.

Best regards, ***** ***** this answer helps you.

Feel free to contact me if you have any more questions.

Dr. Amanda

Kansas State University,

College of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2001

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

How is your pup this evening? Did he end up going to surgery?

Dr. A

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jennifer,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Oliver. How is everything going?
Amanda Mouradian-Dar