Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My 4 pound 13 ur old dog licked my leg that might have had

Customer Question

My 4 pound 13 ur old dog licked my leg that might have had Nair lotion on it. She is very sick, do you think that's why?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern for Baby Girl but it's certainly possible that this product is responsible for her illness depending on her symptoms.

Unfortuantely, depilatory creams such as Nair contain ingredients (Calcium hydroxide, for example) which can cause corrosive injury in the mouth, esophagus or stomach and could be quite serious depending on the amount which was ingested. If the patient vomits and inhales some of the material, then lung tissue can also be affected and aspiration pneumonia can develop.

If Baby Girl is showing gastrointestinal signs such as drooling, vomiting, disinterest in eating and/or lethargy or having a hard time breathing, then ingestion of this product may be why, I'm sad to say.

If that's the case, then I'd advise a vet visit as soon as possible.

If her signs differ from any of the ones I mentioned above, please let me know what they might be so that I can provide other possible explanations for them.

I hope this helps although I'm sorry that my response is not a more positive one. Deb

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Bad part is I live in a small town, and our vet is on vacation. We only have 1. Been using syringe to keep her hydrated. And the baby stuff with electrolytes in it. She is in pretty bad shape, I feel helpless. Very not with it. Limp. You think she can pull through, if I keep pushing fluids?
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the additional information but I'm so sorry that she's in such rough shape:(

Treating her at home is going to be difficult because there are limited options but I do have a few suggestions:

1. Over the counter Pepcid AC (Famotidine) can be given which may help to reduce acids in the stomach (which might contribute to the problem). The dose would be 1/4th mg per pound of body weight twice a day.

Another option would be Prilosec (Omeprazole) at a dose of 1/2 mg per pound of body weight once a day.

2. Pedialyte (or something equivalent) is not a bad choice but milk may be better. If she's vomiting, then only give a small amount at one time but give her some every hour or so.

3. If by any chance you have any Sucralfate, I can provide a dose for her.

I honestly don't know if she's going to make it or not but you'll just have to keep doing the best you can...unless you can possibly travel with her to a location with a vet hospital that's open.

I feel so badly for you both but hope that she'll make it with your supportive care. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

I'm just following up on our conversant about Baby Girl. She (and you) have been on my mind and I was wondering how are things going with her? Deb