Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

Female cross husky staffy 2yr not desexed latharic drinking

Customer Question

female cross husky staffy 2yr not desexed latharic drinking not eating occasional panting no energy
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Zarlia. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

How long has she been not eating, with no energy? If you check her gums, are they pink in color? Can you take her temperature with a rectal thermometer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi, she hasn't eaten in approx 24hrs, her gums are currently looking more red than pink, she's very lethargic and has been for approx 3 days. she is however drinking water and urinating. She has only vomited once so far and was yellow in colour, she also looks like she's constantly panting.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

Can you take her temperature?

It is a good sign her gums are not pale.

There are many things that could cause these symptoms in a young dog, such as eating something she should not that is causing an intestinal upset or infection, or worse, an intestinal blockage; she could have have a fever from an infection; she could have a virus. Panting can indicate fever, pain, distress, or a lung infection or heart problem. She is telling us that something is wrong, but I would need to examine her to find out what and where the problem is.

If she were mine, I would start with a good physical examination: feel her lymph nodes and palpate her internal organs, listen to her heart and lungs, feel the quality of her pulses, take her temperature, try to find an area of pain. Until we identify where the problem is, it is hard to know the best treatment for her. Until you can get her checked out, I would keep her hydrated by offering broth as well as water.

I see she is not desexed, but at her age that is unlikely causing this problem. We do see intact females get a serious infection of the uterus, called a pyometra, but usually not as young as she is.

Let me know what other questions you have.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I hope you were able to see what I wrote. Can I help with or answer anything else?