Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

We have 110 lb 11 yr old Cane Corso. He seems to have

Customer Question

Hi we have 110 lb 11 yr old Cane Corso. He seems to have dislocated his hip. It is his left side which he is laying on to protect it I iced it 1 time. He is crying out in pain. He snaps at us when we try to help him..we obviously can't move him. Please what do you recommend we do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Unfortunately, when we have a hip dislocation this is not something that can be treated at home and is actually an urgent situation.
This is because the longer that femoral head is out of the hip socket, the more likely the associated muscles will become overstretched and less likely it will stay in once it has been replaced (which can mean the hip needs to be operated on or the leg could even have to be removed if this is left untreated too long).

Now since he is being quite aggressive and you sound to be unable to move him, you will need to phone your local vet to see if they can do a home visit. They can give him injectable pain relief +/- sedation to allow safe relocation to the clinic. Or they may be able to muzzle him and get him onto a stretcher (or even bed sheet) to again get him to the practice. Once he is there he will need to be anesthetized so that the dislocation can be corrected. Afterwards, he will need strong pain relief and rest to again help that joint stay stable.

Overall, this is a less then ideal situation for Kane. If we have a dislocation, then this is an urgent situation and home care with icing isn't going to be enough. If we leave this untreated or delay in getting it treated, we run the risk of permanently damaging this joint such that it won't stay in the socket once it is replaced. So, we need to be proactive and act fast to help Kane.

In this situation, it would be prudent to get your wee one to the emergency vet. To find your local ER veterinary clinic, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or http://www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193

Please take care,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Kane. How is everything going?
nekovet