Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog has been whimpering off and on couple of days. It

Customer Question

My dog has been whimpering off and on for a couple of days. It started Friday morning and I immediately took her into an emergency visit. (At this point I saw her poop twice.) They couldn't find anything and said it was prob soft tissue injury and sent her home with gabapentin for pain if needed. I didn't give it to her because she was showing no signs of distress at this point. This morning I heard her whimper once so I gave her some meds, she was good all day and then now tonight she started whimpering again and I noticed when I take her out she keeps trying to go to the bathroom, but can't, and she's now shaking off and on. My question is do I need to rush her in at this point or should I try mineral oil. I'm afraid she may be impacted or I could just be overreacting to what I read on the internet. Her temp is normal.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

First, I do want to note that we do tend to use this medication every 8-12 hours. Therefore, if you have only given the Gabapentin once, then we may need to consider a second dose to get her comfortable here.

Afterwards, since the ER vet already ruled out a gut blockage for her, we'd want to try and see if we can help her pass feces. Further to milk, you can certainly add a GI lubricant to her food. Food grade mineral oil can be used or we also can use a few milliliters of Miralax or Lactulose. And again, its best to add these to food as opposed to giving directly to reduce the risk of aspiration from direct administration.

Finally, if she has been having fecal passage issues, then you can consider adding fiber (ie a spoonful of canned pumpkin, all bran, etc) to her food. This can just help restore fecal regularity and keep things moving for her.

All the best for Maxie,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Maxie. How is everything going?
nekovet