Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog was just diagnosed as a diabetic. I just started

Customer Question

My dog was just diagnosed as a diabetic. I just started insulin about 3 weeks ago. Recently she has been excessively panting and has a little twitch that I noticed from looking at her face. I just gave her some honey to see if it subsides about 20 min. ago. She just appears very very uncomfortable.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is on Thyrozine and diagnosed with SARDS all within a year of her diabetes diagnosis. She is obese and is having difficulty keeping weight off.
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you. Let me apologize that no expert has jumped in to answer your questions until now.

This does sound concerning for Roxie and the largest question is if this is related to her diabetes, or if this is something else. I have a few questions to ask that will help me get you the best answer possible:

1) Has she had her recheck with her vet since diagnosis for her day long blood glucose curve? If so, how long ago was this and did this look good or was her dose adjusted?

2) Did the honey make the twitching go away immediately and improve the panting or not?

3) Did she have her urine cultured (not just checked) at the time of original diagnosis (many diabetics have terrible UTIs that need to be treated)?

4) At the time of original diagnosis, was her thyroid normal (controlled)? With SARDS I expect her ALKP (liver value) was elevated on lab work. SARDS is a complicated illness with confusion over possible Cushing's syndrome when it is usually not this particular issue.

Thank you for taking a moment to answer my questions.