Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

Our 2 YO female bulldog got into the garbage and ate some

Customer Question

Our 2 YO female bulldog got into the garbage and ate some food we had tossed out. it include pork tenderloins cooked in a marsala type sauce with some onion. She also ate some cardboard that the food was in from Whole Foods. Th gravy had onions and peppers in it. She vomited the food up, at least a good part of it and is now vomiting lots of white foam. What would you recommend we do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am glad to hear that she vomited up a lot of what she ingested, very likely the amount of onions was not enough to cause issues as the onion powder tends to be the most toxic form of onions in pets.

Since there is continued actively vomiting we want to minimize anything orally to stop the nausea and abdominal cramping resulting in vomiting. I know the thought is she needs to drink to maintain hydration but if she is actively vomiting even water she is becoming more dehydrated with water intake.

If there is no improvement then please consider having your dog seen by a veterinarian sooner rather than later. They can give injectable medications to bypass the intestinal tract and hopefully get the nausea under control

1- Keep indoors to avoid eating grass/ leaves until morning

2- Offer a small amount of water (1-2 teaspoons hourly) for a few hours tomorrow morning

3- Start Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg/ pound every 12 hours OR prilosec (omeprazole) 0.5 mg/ pound daily for the next 3 days with the second administration of water (crushed if needed)

4-If no vomiting, offer small amount of white rice and boiled boneless or ground chicken or ground beef. For example, one tablespoon hourly for a few hours then slowly start to increase the amount while reducing the frequency. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

5- If vomiting continues after doing the above, I would encourage having your family veterinarian perform an examination to determine the next step to getting Millie comfortable.

Indications your dog should be seen by a veterinary er sooner include: sticky gums that are pale, yellow, blue, purple, temperature rectally >103.5, progressive lethargy with less responsiveness to you, vomiting or diarrhea that includes blood, resting respiratory rate (breaths per minute) >60, swollen abdomen.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today. I am online another 15 minutes this evening...

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier and hope your dog is feeling a little better today!

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today! I am online only a short time today but happy to help with any follow up questions!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!