Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

Our 7 lb Silkie Terrier just ate half of an SOS pad. What

Customer Question

Our 7 lb Silkie Terrier just ate half of an SOS pad. What should we do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I would like you to start by feeding her - something bland like 1/2 slice bread, or 1/2 a potato, or 1/4 cup rice. Do you have any of those on hand that you can feed her? If yes, please go do so! Then we are going to try to induce vomiting with the idea is that the food is going to coat the steel wool to make it slide out more smoothly.

To induce vomiting with 3% hydrogen peroxide 1 tsp per ten pounds (i.e. 3/4 tsp for your Briland) then walk around to mix it in the stomach and agitate the lining. If no vomiting within 10-15 minutes it can be repeated once only in hopes of inducing vomiting.

Steel wool can cause problems for 4 reasons:

1. The detergent in the pad can cause vomiting and diarrhea to start some 6-12 hours after ingestion.

2. The pad is abrasive and can cause severe gastroenteritis as it scratches the intestines.

3. The pad can become lodged in the intestines and block food from passing. This becomes a surgical problem in which a vet has to go in surgically to remove it from the intestines.

4. If it sits in the stomach, the coating can wear off and it can rust. The iron thus released can cause iron toxicity.

So, overall, better out then in! Please let me know how she is doing, and when she vomits up the steel wool!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am checking in on Briland to see if you were able to induce vomiting? I am online another 30 minutes tonight and would love an update...

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Good morning, I wanted to check in on you and Briland, did she bring up the pad? I would love an update!

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today! I am only online for a short period this morning but happy to assist with any follow up questions!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Briland. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman