Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

12 year old American cocker... weakness in nd quarters.. a

Customer Question

12 year old American cocker... weakness in hind quarters.. a mass on her left side.. diagnoised with aldosteronism today... she is blind now in left eye... right eye is bloodshot how can I help her...
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. It really depends on the cause of the aldosteronism. If it is an adrenal gland mass, then removal of the adrenal gland would be the best option for control. With a pituitary problem, that won't help much. In that case medical treatment with medications to control blood pressure and potassium supplementation is usually necessary. Medical treatment for an adrenal gland tumor is also an option but doesn't always work as well. I am assuming the weakness is due to arthritis. If so, then starting a glucosamine supplement and discussing pain medications with your vet would be necessary. The blindness is a little harder to control. Unless the blindness is due to a cataract or glaucoma, there isn't much you can do. It is just a degenerative issue. Just don't change furniture around too much or leave her unattended when outside, unless it is in an enclosed yard. Even with glaucoma, restoring vision may not be possible. Most cataracts can be removed surgically, but she may be a higher anesthetic risk with her other medical issues. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

DISCLAIMER: My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.