Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience in general practice.
21779527

My sisters dog we think got bitten by a beaver. He was

Customer Question

My sisters dog we think got bitten by a beaver. He was bitten on the nose 10 days ago. He has muscle weakness can move limbs but cannot walk. He is crawling now. Appetite is normal, drinking water, no fever. He is on antibiotics and pain meds. He seems fine except he cannot walk.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 1 year ago.

Any chance it was a raccoon? There is a condition called coonhound paralysis. It is triggered by the saliva of raccoons and causes a progressive paralysis of all our limbs. That sounds like what you are seeing. The paralysis can last for months and they have to be cared for during that time depending on the severity of their symptoms. Most dogs do eventually recover. Did he see a veterinarian? Did they mention coonhound paralysis?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He has seen a vet, and was put on medications for several different infections it could be.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My sister has narrowed it down to coondog disease. She and her husband are keeping him indoors only taking him out to potty. She ordered a sling to help because he is big.
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 1 year ago.

Coonhound paralysis is not an infection so it will not improve on antibiotics. Symptoms usually start 7-14 days after exposure to a raccoon. There is no treatment for it. However, because the dogs don't walk they are prone to bladder infections and pneumonia. They need a lot of nursing care so that they don't develop sores until their mobility starts to return. The difficult thing is that there is no test for this condition, it is something that we diagnose because the symptoms fit and we can't find another underlying cause.

Here is a good article: http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/neurological/c_dg_coonhound_paralysis

Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 1 year ago.

Best wishes!

Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Stacy