Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My Chihuahua has started shaking kind of spasm like today.

Customer Question

my Chihuahua has started shaking kind of spasm like today. He is 6 yrs old. He eats, but walks funny and keeps going to the bedroom instead of being with us. When I got out a treat he got excited as usual and wagging his tail normally. The only thing different in our lives this week is my husband is putting in new flooring. Loud banging and stuff. He is a nervous dog but because it has worsened and now walks funny I don't think it's because of the loud noises? Is there something over the counter I can buy to calm him down at the pet store?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.

Hi, this is Dr. Gabby. Can you describe the spasm for me please? How long does it last? When he is having his spasm can you distract him out of it with voice or touch? Are there any flooring chemicals he may have gotten into?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is constant. It will calm down than start up. more like shaking but happens only in upper body around the shoulders. He has been yiping a lot when we move him a certain way like we are hurting him but there is not specific area that hurts. His back legs look funny when he walks and looks like he wants to crouch his back. No floor chemicals around. just lots of dust!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is distracted out of it when I got his treat.
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.

Is he hunching his back up? Can you hold his head in your hands and make him look all the way left, right, up, and down? Any resistance?