Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

I've had my 5yr old St. Bernard/ Bassett Female dog a month

Customer Question

I've had my 5yr old St. Bernard/ Bassett Female dog for about a month now, just a couple of days ago she started having problems peeing. Although she looks like she is drinking more water than normal, when I take her out she is peeing very little and it looks like she's peeing blood. What could be wrong and is there anything I could get or do (ie specific food) that may help her pee or "clean her out"??
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

There is a good chance that your gal has a Urinary Tract Infection. These are typical signs for this condition. This will require antibiotics from your vet but over the weekend, it will help to give your gal Methigel, a dose every 8 hrs. This is a urinary acidifier that will put the urine in an acid state that does not allow the bacteria to grow. This is available at the pet store. Unfortunately, this is not curative without antibiotics but will help her past this painful condition. Cranberry Juice can be given also as a urinary acidifier.

Your vet will run a Urinalysis to be sure that this is the correct diagnosis and treat accordingly.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Hi Sarah,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Loretta