Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My (roughly) one and a half year old catahoula mix just had

Customer Question

Hi, my (roughly) one and a half year old catahoula mix just had breakfast (1.5 cups) and now he's having abnormally loud and frequent borborygmi. It's easily audible, and it's almost constant, there are few if may pauses in between sounds. It's a wide
variety of sounds. The volume along with it being almost constant is beginning to worry me. Admittedly he ate a little late last night and I also mixed in a little wet food for the first time with his dinner, although it was the exact same brand as his kibble
- Merrick. This morning he ate a little early so his meals were a little closer than they normally are, maybe 9 to 10 hours apart rather than 12. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Borborygymus is the sound of fluid and gas moving through a hypermotile bowel but doesn't tell us if that motility is benign or a sign of a problem. If Cayenne is otherwise normal there's no reason to do anything but "watchful wait". If symptoms of gastrointestinal distress arose - inappetence, vomiting and/or diarrhea - he could be treated symptomatically and supportively by fasting for up to 24 hours, antacid and/or antiemetic or antimotility drugs. Please give me an update on Cayenne.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Cayenne. How is everything going?