Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

Our beagle started acting strangely two days ago. He was and

Customer Question

Our beagle started acting strangely two days ago. He was and still is shivering and arching his back. When presented with food, sometimes he backs up and arches his back as he steps away from it. His tail has been down between his legs. He seems sad and moving gingerly but not really lethargic as he is still intermittently wagging his tail and when we take him out he seems to be scooting his butt on the grass or laying down on his stomach. He is still eating and drinking semi normally, just a little less. He isn't sleeping or resting in his usual places. We do not believe he ate anything unusual, but we changed his food recently. He has been still going to the bathroom normally but this morning he had diarrhea. He has been panting intermittently. His eyes seem a little bloodshot.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear Scrappy isn't feeling well. My first suspicion based on what you are telling me is that Scrappy could be having a problem with his back- a mild slipped disc. These are seen often in beagles, and can present how you are describing- holding their posture in a strange way, moving gingerly (they are trying to avoid movement that would cause more pain), the panting is likely a result of pain or discomfort. The diarrhea could be a result of stress, or a result of changing his food. I would recommend getting him in to your vet so they can examine him and see if a back problem is the case (we call this intervertebral disc disease), and prescribe some medication to help him be more comfortable- we usually prescribe a muscle relaxer, pain killer, and either a steroid or a nonsteroidal anti inflammatory medication. In the meantime you should keep him as quiet as possible/as little moving around as possible. Outside only on a leash to potty, no jumping on furniture, no stairs, kennel him or keep him in a small room when you aren't there to supervise him.

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have any other questions!

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

His drinking and eating is also likely reduced because it may be uncomfortable for him to bend down /posture to eat and drink. You may try hand feeding him if you think he isn't getting enough on his own. Let me know if you have any other questions. If not, please take a moment to rate our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with our service,and I can get credit for helping to answer your question. Good luck and Thank you!