Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 10 year old golden came home yesterday from a groomer. I

Customer Question

my 10 year old golden came home yesterday from a groomer. I fed her pork loin and sweet potato. She immediately vomited. She was then lethargic and would not wag her tail (very unusual). She is still not herself. What could this be?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Was she given anything (ie food, sedation, etc) at the groomers?

Had she had this type of food before?

Was it food she vomited? Has she eaten since?

Can she keep water down?

Are her gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, does she have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could she have eaten anything she should not have (ie bones, stones, socks, toys, plants, chemicals, humanmeds, etc)?

Any diarrhea?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She seemed fine when I picked her up at thegroomers. I do not think she was given anything thee. She vomited the food. She has not had s bowel movement for 24 hours. She mostly seems lethargic. She has kept water down and 2 tablespoons of rice. No temp. Gums seem good. No tightness in belly region.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

First, I am glad to hear that she hasn't had any of those more serious signs I asked about. As well, just to note, if she has vomited up food then we'd not be overly worried about fecal decline at this stage (since little input leads to little output). Now despite her signs starting after the groomers, if they did not give her anything, then this is unlikely to be related to that visit. There efore, we'd have to be most wary of a coincidental bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, general dietary indiscretions, and ingestion of harmful items (hopefully less likely at her age).

With this all in mind and since she has only had the one vomit, I would suggest trying her with supportive care at this point. To start, since she can keep water and that bit of rice down, we can initiate our care with an oral antaicd. Common OTC pet safe options would be:

* Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid)
*Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)

* Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)
Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if she has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Once that has had time to absorb and she is steadier on her stomach, you can consider starting her on a light/easily digestible diet. Besides the rice, consider adding in a protein source (ie boiled chicken, boiled white fish,cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs, etc). Or there are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning her slowly back to her normal diet.

Since dehydration is a risk when we have vomiting in older dogs, we need to keep an eye on her hydration. To check this and ensure she’s not becoming dehydrated, there are afew things you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, you will want to make sure her eyes are not looking sunken and that she doesn’t have a"skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE(http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then that would be our cue to have her seen before this becomes an additional issue for her (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell and lethargic).

Overall, there are a wide range of agents could trigger this GI upset we are seeing. Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care to settle her stomach. If she cannot keep that or water down at any point, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours (since she is older); then we'd want to get her vet involved. They can assess her hydration, rule out fever, make sure there is nothing in her stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. As well, with her age, you may want to also have them check a geriatric blood sample to make sure her organs are working as they should. Depending on their findings, her vet can treat her with injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- antibiotics to settle her stomach, and get her back feeling like herself.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
nekovet