Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

How can I get my fox terrier from barking at the animals an

Customer Question

How can I get my fox terrier from barking at the animals an tv
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

What a frustrating problem but you are not alone. There is something you can try at home which is a technique call desensitization. Medications may have a role here but I would be inclined to try desensitisation and counterconditioning as a first step for the TV issues. If you have a video player then you can record some animal noises from the television and then begin the desensitisation process by playing it at a very low volume (maybe even make a video for the TV with this) and rewarding Elizabeth for remaining calm. There is a good chance she would progress well with this if you have the time to do this slowly. Only little bits at a time. Most people try to progress too quickly, which doesn't work

Sometimes drugs can be helpful in the beginning to get her to relax; so discussing this with your veterinarian is a good idea.

But be sure never to yell or punish her for the barking when it happens. This only services to increase her anxiety. Instead, you can distract her with something else (a positive something like a toy).

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Elizabeth. How is everything going?
Dr. Joey