Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 3 1/2 month old puppy seems to be constipated. What can I

Customer Question

My 3 1/2 month old puppy seems to be constipated. What can I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Now when we have a constipated pup, we do need to tread with care. This is because we can see constipation secondary to other issues (ie gut blockages, high worm burdens, even blockages caused by the gut telescoping onto itself). Therefore, if you see any belly pain, paling gums, vomiting, lethargy, or she doesn't respond to the constipation treatments I will now outline; then we'd want to plan to have a check with her vet.

That aside, there are some steps we can start at home to get things moving. To start, we can try her with cow's milk. As dogs can be like little lactose sensitive people, we can find this beneficial for increased gut movement and stool passage. As well, cat hairball medication (ie. Catalax, Laxatone,etc) from your local vet or pet shop can be used as well. This works to lubricate the gut and can facilitate the movement of hard feces out of the rectum. . Alternatively, you can administer a small volume of Miralax (1 tsp per 24 hours), lactulose or food grade mineral oil orally. Ideally, these should be mixed into food. If you have to administer via syringe, do take care to avoid aspiration ( since that would cause problems we'd best avoid).

Furthermore, if she is eating you can mix in some canned pumpkin or a 1/2 teaspoon of unflavored Metamucil. Just like people, these can restore fecal output regularity. I would offer these with wet food to ease her eating of it, while making sure we are getting water into her (as canned food is 35% water). You also want to continue to encourage her to drink since constipation can be complicated by dehydration. Make sure she has have fresh water and you can even offer low sodium chicken broth if she won’t drink.

While you are doing this, I would advise that you monitor fecal and urinary output. As well, do keep an eye for those more serious signs I noted. If you try the above and do not get things moving in the next 12-24 hours or worsens, then they should be evaluated by her vet. Severe impactions of feces sometimes won’t respond to our gentle colon cleaning treatments, and those cases can require more aggressive treatment (ie enemas under sedation).

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my serviceonce you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
nekovet