Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My dog 1yr is hurting from an irritation in s paw(it's a

Customer Question

My dog 1yr is hurting from an irritation in his paw(it's a porcupine quills we thought we got them all out but now I know we didn't) it is swollen and he is not stepping on it. he is whining and is keeping me up.is there something this weekend I can do to help relieve the pain and or inflammation until I can take him in on mon?
Thanks,
Brenda
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry to hear about Flower's condition...

There is possibility that there is part of a quill that is still inside or that there is an infection caused by the quills. The best thing you can do for Flower over the weekend is to apply hat compresses to this area every 4-6 hrs to help draw out any infection and/or piece of a broken off quill.

Also, give Flower aspirin at 5 mg per pound of her weight every 12 hrs to decrease the pain and inflammation. If she is still hurting by Monday, you will have to have your vet examine Flower since , if there is a piece of quill embedded in the paw, they will have to find and remove it under anesthesia.

In most cases, the infection is causing this and this treatment will be curative.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

I'm just following up on our conversation about Flower. How is everything going?
Dr. Loretta