Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dachshund is 6, she is limping, favoring her right front

Customer Question

My dachshund is 6, she is limping, favoring her right front paw. I can see no obvious injury. She also vomited twice today, and once a couple of days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help with your question about Roxie's limping and vomiting.

So that I may know we are properly connected and that you understand how the website works, including that I'll need to earn a positive rating from you in order to receive any compensation out of the deposit you paid, please type in a short reply.

Simply type in what you want to say, then click REPLY or SEND. That way we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided.

A complete, honest, and accurate answer to your question is actually quite complicated, and I want to be sure you're online before I type in a lengthy response.

Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

It appears you are not currently online and available to chat about Roxie. I'm sorry I missed my chance to have a discussion with you and answer your question. I will opt out now so your question becomes available for other experts when you return online.

Thank you for using our website.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. A front leg lameness in a doxi can reflect soft tissue trauma - sprain or strain - in the leg and also cervical myelopathy (spinal cord disorder in the neck) such as degenerative disk disease (a "slipped disk"). The pain of a disk is called a dorsal root signature sign and radiates down the leg similar to sciatica in the hind leg in both humans and pets. If Roxie hasn't improved in a week it would be best to have her vet carefully palpate (feel) that leg and her neck.

Vomiting has more etiologies than I could list in this venue. In most cases, a dietary indiscretion such as ingesting something new, inappropriate, spoiled, or perhaps a nonfood item is responsible. "Watchful waiting" for up to 72 hours is prudent as long as my patient is stable because most dogs will remiss unaided within that time frame. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.