Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

My pug puppy had watery stool with some 6 drops of blood

Customer Question

My pug puppy had watery stool with some 6 drops of blood this morning. What can be the cause and remedies? He is one month old. He is suffering from cough and cold and makes honking sound while coughing.what to do
Submitted: 1 year ago via Dog-Health-Guide.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help with your question about your pug puppy's loose stools and cough.

So that I may know we are properly connected and that you understand how the website works, including that I'll need to earn a positive rating from you in order to receive any compensation out of the deposit you paid, please type in a short reply.

Simply type in what you want to say, then click REPLY or SEND. That way we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided.

A complete, honest, and accurate answer to your question is actually quite complicated, and I want to be sure you're online before I type in a lengthy response.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll be online, please do tell me what to do with his bloody stool issue.. today I increased the amount of milk I usually give so can this be a reason for his blood in stool issue?
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Glad you're there...

(typing more)

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

By all means, yes, increasing milk in his food could cause this type of change in his stool. Any type of diet change or inappropriate food could cause loose or bloody stools or straining. It's important to emphasize, however, it could be a lot of other things.

I would not advise feeding (cow's) milk to a puppy at any time because it does tend to cause diarrhea and/or other digestive symptoms. It's not a suitable food for him, I'm afraid.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Other possible causes include the following:

• other types of dietary intolerances
  • parasites (worms)
  • protozoal infections like coccidia and giardia
  • other less common diseases of the digestive tract.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

It's also important to emphasize that none of the things I've described so far would be expected to cause a pug puppy to cough.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Pugs are especially predisposed to breathing problems because of the pushed-in nature of their faces. This means that a lot of pugs who aren't even sick in any way will still show symptoms of coughing or snorting. It also means that a pug is more likely to experience serious symptoms if he or she catches a respiratory infection.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Considering all of these things, the very best recommendation I can make to help you give your pug the best care possible is to have him seen by a veterinarian to have these problems investigated. Then you can find out exactly why he is having these problems. Once that is done, you'll know what kind of treatment would be likely to work.

Does this help to answer your question? I want to be as helpful as possible.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Another important question.. how much time u'll take to respond?
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

I have typed in several responses already. Can you see them?

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Are you still there?

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

I would like to be as helpful as possible. Please review my answers above and let me know if anything requires additional explanation. If you are satisfied with the information I've provided, please take a moment to rate my response so I may receive credit for helping you. If you are not, please let me know how else I may be of assistance.

Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Just checking in to ask how things are going with your pug. How is he doing today?

Thank you.