Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have a red min pin around 10 years old(buddy) and he's

Customer Question

I have a red min pin around 10 years old(buddy) and he's usually a spunky dog but two days ago I came home and first he yelped when he got up and then he's walking slow and with his head down. Since then he's not eating too much and he's usually a pig and he wants to lay down all the time. He can walk I've taken him for walks but he's not the same buddy. yesterday was better but it seems like today is worse. I can't afford a vet visit. Is there anything I can do here at home to help him out?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Yes, the aspirin was a good idea. The dose is 10 mg/lb with food twice daily. Buddy Beau's yelping and head carriage is pathognomonic (particularly indicative) of spinal pain - usually in the cervical (neck) but also thoracolumbar (middle of his back) segments of the spine. Degenerative disk disease (a "slipped disk") should be suspected in a 10 year old Min Pin. It's important to keep him as quiet as possible so he doesn't hurt himself further. A simple uncomplicated disk can quiet down in 3 weeks. Paresis (weakness) or paralysis in a limb(s) is a danger sign which should prompt having his vet take a look at him. There are more potent nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs (NSAIDS) than aspirin which can be prescribed by his vet and a narcotic analgesic and skeletal muscle relaxant can also be prescribed if necessary. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you that sounds about right to me. We gave him aspirin about an hour ago and he seems to be a little better already so I will watch him closely and see how it goes. I'm only taking him to the vet if he gets really bad. Actually I have another question. I found him wandering without tags about 5 years ago. He had a hole in his neck on top and the bot***** *****ke a bigger dog grabbed him and beat him up so I couldn't let him go. If I take him to the vet and he has a chip in him will they take him from me?

No, the vet has no official capacity in that regard. In any event, dogs with chips often end up with other owners who don't bother to re-register the chip in their name. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Buddy Beau. How is everything going?