Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My 10 year old yellow lab has been having firm bowel

Customer Question

My 10 year old yellow lab has been having firm bowel movements during the day, yet at night, will get me up every few hours and have mushy bowels. No other symptoms noted. She gets no other food except dog food. Vet dx Whip worms and treated but the symptoms remain. Nothing showed in a fecal exam. What else could be going on that this is happening and only at night??
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Marta Lepes replied 1 year ago.

Hello Kelly,

I am Dr Marta and I will help you. You didn't say how long this has been going on. Was she wormed because of these symptoms?

You say that Yankee has no access to any food except her dog food. Check with other members of your household to make sure no one is slipping her some cheese or hotdog,etc. in the evening or afternoon. How about treats? Do you give some to her? Check with neighbors too. We need to know EVERYTHING she eats. Is she drinking only tap or bottled water? What dog food is she getting?

I'm thinking of two things. 1) upset gastrointestinal tract (gut) from something she is eating without you being aware of it.

2) the early signs of pancreatitis (the pancreas is the organ that helps digest fatty food) When it is inflamed fatty food will cause diarrhea, sometimes vomiting and pain in the abdomen.

So please answer my questions and then we'll go from there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She was given medicine to deworm 3 weeks ago. She did well for two weeks and it is back again. No outside food at all vet says whip worm but no bloody stool. There is mucus in the late night stools. No vomiting or pain. She is acting like her happy self all day long. But come night time, she has to go out multiple times and go to the bathroom with mushy stools. No anxiety or other behavioral issues. She did have cancer when she was 1 year old. Been I remission since then. Treated with chemo and successful. All bloodwork a week ago suggests nothing. Just the mushy feces at night.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Only tap water for the pat 10 years.

My message board says that you are waiting to hear from me. However I am waiting for a response to my questions. Did you receive them? Did you respond? Did you push the send button? Maybe we are having a glitch.

Dr Marta

Hi Kelly, I'm totally puzzled about where this response was hiding. I only got it now, 4 hours after you sent it.

Alright, you say she only gets her dog food. Have you changed it lately? What dog food is she on? Has a fecal culture been done?

Lets try to stop those loose stools. I want you to get some psillium. It is available in health food stores. It is the main ingredient in Metamucil (but don't give Metamucil which is flavored and has other things in it) Sprinkle

1 tsp on his dog food daily. Psillium is a soluble fiber that holds moisture. It will make his stool more firm. And if he ever gets constipated, it softens the stool. Let's see what happens. You should see some improvement within 24 hours. I'll check back with you tomorrow. I hope this message gets to you.

I do hope that you can try the psyllium. That won't answer why Yankee has these soft stools at night but it should make life easier for you

Let me know how that works.