Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

How can you tell your dog is pregnant?

Customer Question

How can you tell your dog is pregnant?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I see you think your dog may be pregnant? Do you know if she got out or bred while she was in heat? Give me a few minutes and I will type an answer for you here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she did breed
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Ok. At home you may or may not notice an increased appetite and some weight gain. You may also notice an enlargement of her nipples. An experienced breeder or vet may be able to palpate individual fetuses at 20 to 30 days after breeding, and after 30 to 35 days palpate the uterine enlargement. Now if your dog is very overweight or is anxious and tenses her belly this makes palpation more difficult. X-rays can detect the babies after 45 days, and are always recommended if pregnancy is suspected so that the number of babies can be determined! The babies can be detected earlier with ultrasound if you like (after 21 days). Here is an article on care of pregnant dogs: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=1459

and an article on labor/delivery: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=678&S=0&EVetID=0

If your dog hasn't been seen by a vet recently, she should have an exam and a deworming.

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

occasionally dogs will have a decreased appetite in early stages of pregnancy instead of increased, so there isn't a reliable way to tell by appetite alone! Sometimes in addition to the nipples looking larger,they will look pinker than they did before as well.

If you have any other questions please let me know. If not, please take a moment to rate our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with your service and I can get credit for helping to answer your question. Thank you!

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Hello, just making sure you got my response and wanted to see if you had any other questions?