Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have a short haired Chihuahua and having just got home he

Customer Question

I have a short haired Chihuahua and having just got home he doesn't seem interested in food. I don;t think he ate much last night either to be honest but am not sure as the other dog often pushes him out of the way. The reason I am writing though is that he seems to have his tongue hanging out a lot. He can and does withdraw it, swallow and then it is out again. He doesn't appear to be in any distress otherwise and is quite active. His tongue is quite a deep red and the only thing I think might be different is that he could be a little fuller around the chest area but I am not sure. Is it possible he is constipated and that is causing pressure on his lungs?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. The first order of business is to carefully examine his oral cavity and oropharynx (the back of his throat). This might take a short-acting anesthetic administered by his vet. I'd be looking for neoplasia (cancer) and/or ulceration that is predisposing to his tongue carriage. No, constipation is evidenced by frequent ineffective attempts to defecate. There's no increased pressure on his lungs unless he raised his blood pressure dramatically by straining to defecate. Nausea and gastrointestinal distress can also cause his tongue to be misplaced. I would also expect drooling, however. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.