Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

My Dog Rocco,,, Lab and sheep dog mix... had m from a

Customer Question

My Dog Rocco,,, Lab and sheep dog mix... had him from a puppy... from day one had problems with keeping solid stool. Then the cheapest dog food dads finally firmed things up. for the next 4 yrs he's been ok.... 8 months ago he started losing weight... dewormed him... took him to local vet blood work show one number off in liver count. He is very active eats all he can drinks water ... but he is down to skin and bones...still ACTIVE, BUT HE has uncontrolled movements in the house... its all soft and outside I have seen him re eat his movement many times. any ideas? I cant afford more vet bills with no symtoms showing.
Mark
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Hello I am sorry to hear about your problems with your dog. Can you tell me does he ever have a normal solid bowel movement or are they all diarrhea? Has he ever been placed on any medications besides the dewormer for this? Does he have any vomiting? How long ago was his bloodwork? Is he drinking a normal amount of water and urinating a normal amount or is this more than before?

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Also, can you describe his diarrhea? Is it a normal color? does it seem slimy? does it smell especially foul?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its is creamy in color not dark, it comes out like soft serve ice cream some days waterier than others, the smell is a bit more then normal movement...but normally he goes outside....and cant tell. but its becoming more common that he does it through the night no matter where in the house he feels. I don't think he has any control
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
answers to first set questions.. He's drinking normal amount of water.. usually can control urine and goes outside and is able to hold during night or able to let us us know. Blood work was 8 months ago. No meds
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Ok, thanks for the info. Do you know how elevated his liver values were? Was the vet concerned about it?

Anytime I see a dog losing weight quickly with diarrhea I worry about things like inflammatory bowel disease, and pancreatic enzyme insufficiency, and small intestinal bacterial overgrowth. I have attached articles on these below:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=598

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=1627

http://www.petmd.com/dog/care/evr_multi_sibo_and_epi#

If your vet didn't do a fecal exam to check for worms and protozoal parasites, that should be done for sure and isn't too expensive. Unfortunately the diseases above do require some testing to diagnose for certain. If you are unable to do the testing, you could see if your vet would be willing to prescribe a course of an antibiotic such as metronidazole or tylosin to see if your dog will respond to this. These antibiotics not only kill bad bacteria in the GI tract but also have anti inflammatory properties in the GI tract as well. That would be my first step if testing is not an option right now. Some dogs do need to remain on these long term, others just short term. I would also start him on a probiotic to replace normal healthy bacteria in the GI tract. If those don't work, then I would consider adding a digestive enzyme to his food in case he does have a deficiency, such as pancrezyme - http://www.1800petmeds.com/Pancrezyme-prod10345.html , but really it is best to test first to see if this is needed. I hope this has given you a few ideas on where to start. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Hello, just wondering if you got my response and if you had any other questions?

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Rocco. How is everything going?
Jessica Keay