Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My 35lb dog at 4.5 ounces of chocolate and got into a bag of

Customer Question

My 35lb dog at 4.5 ounces of chocolate and got into a bag of cocoa powder last night. How much activated charcoal should I give him?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

How long has it been since he ingested the chocolate/cocoa, please? Activated charcoal is usually recommended for large-volume ingestions only and that doesn't sound likely in your 35lb dog who would need to have ingested ~35 ounces of milk chocolate, ~12 ounces of dark chocolate, or ~4 ounces of cocoa powder to become intoxicated with the theobromine in chocolate. To answer you directly, however, 5ml/lb (one measuring teaspoon/lb of body weight) of a suspension made from 2 grams of activated charcoal suspended in 10 ml water is the usual dose. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was 4.5 ounces of dark chocolate and I am not sure how much cocoa powder. He at it last night, about 14 hours ago. He has not thrown up and has loose stools but not diarrhea. His major symptom is acting restless and very agitated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I give him more charcoal or is he probably fine?

I don't believe that additional charcoal will be of value at this late date. His restlessness and agitation indicate theobromine toxicity and the half-life of theobromine is 17.5 hours and so he can remain agitated for 24-36 hours post-ingestion. There's little reason to believe that he's in danger 14 hours later but might benefit from the administration of either diazepam or methocarbamol prescribed by his vet. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, thank you for your help.

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update - even after rating - at a time of your choosing.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?