Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Salkin, Thank you answer. I will have to ask the vet today

Customer Question

Hello Dr. Salkin,
Thank you for your answer. I will have to ask the vet today for the results. When I picked him up before by holding his chest he didn't make a sound. Now he's making like an internal growling sound when he stretches and when I pick him up. Last night he kept gagging and threw up once but just a little bit of liquid. Is an x ray needed for the esophageal dysfunction? What are the causes of this? Thank you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome. Thank you for the additional information. Yes, an X-ray +/- barium swallow is indicated when we're concerned that megaesophagus - a ballooning out of the normally rigid esophagus - is present. As mentioned, myasthenia gravis is not only a common cause of such esophageal dysfunction but also a possible cause of his change in voice. In addition, thymoma - a tumor in the upper chest - can also cause voice change and pain and can be found concomitantly with myasthenia gravis. Please continue our conversation if you wish. Please contact***@******.*** to have your posts merged so you won't be charged for two questions.