Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinary Associate at Acres Mill Veterinary Clinic
87969507

My three year old dog has had two bouts in the past two days

Customer Question

My three year old dog has had two bouts in the past two days of yelping in pain. Each bout lasted for 3-5 minutes and then he seemed normal. I have prodded him all over and got no reaction. His appetite is normal and after each pain bout he seems normal in every way. There has been no wieght loss or bleeding nor has he had any injury.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet Rocco today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Do these bouts of pain occur at a specific time during the day? Is Rocco active prior to the bout of pain?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There have thus far only been two such bouts. The first came yesterday morning after our daily one hour morning walk during which he was lively and had his normal poop and pee. The second was during the night (about 3 this morning). He had been sleeping for several hours. We just now completed a shortened morning walk due to my receiving your question. Once again he seems quite normal and had a good poop. Last night he ate a good meal, so his appetite seems normal.Here is some additional info that might help:The first event was early yesterday morning. We had completed our morning walk during which he had a normal poop and pee. I gave him his treat (Milkbone MaroSnack) and he laid down on his pad. Then he started yelping in pain. While yelping he pawed his nose several times and I thought maybe he had broken a tooth or that the treat had gotten stuck in his throat. In a few minutes he stopped yelping and seemed normal with no further sign of pain or lethargy. We don’t know whether he had any more bouts during the day because we were playing in a golf tournament. He seemed normal when we returned from golf. I took him on a walk, he played with some other dogs in our dog park and he ate his dinner.The second bout came during the night. He was sleeping in the bed with us and about three this morning did the same thing, only this time he did not paw at his nose. After the bout ended, I let him out and he peed and seemed quite normal. He is now asleep in our bed. I’ve prodded him all over and gotten no reactions.He just had his annual vet check-up Monday and the vet said he was in good shape. He got his Bordetella nose drops, had his anal glands cleaned out and the vet gave him a cortisone shot to ease the itching in his butt.FYI – Rocco survived a bout of distemper right after we rescued him from the shelter. He was about two months old at the time.

Okay thanks for the additional information. Has Rocco ever had any problems with the Nasal Kennel cough in the past? Just curious since you mentioned that he was pawing at his nose. One thing I do worry and see often in pugs that demonstrate the signs that Rocco is showing is either neck or back issues. Typically there is a disc problem either the disc bulges or ruptures and Rocco just moving a certain way can cause a pain response that can subside over time. One way you can see if that is the case is to have Rocco stand up and then brace one hand under his chest to support him then firmly apply pressure along his spine. If he seem to yelp or if you notice that his muscles start to flinch when you apply pressure to a certain area then that may be an indication that the problem is in the back.

You can do the same thing with the neck and also gently move the neck in it's normal position flexing and extending it. If you note any discomfort then that will indicate a neck problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's what we thought he had a week or so after we brought him home from the shelter but our vet diagnosed it as distemper. It was a tough two months and I didn't think he was going to make it but he pulled through. The only after effects we've seen is that his teeth are not normal and he occasionally has twitching episodes.

Just out of curiosity do you know how your veterinarian diagnosed him with distemper? Did he do a distemper titer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've tested both his spine and neck as you recommended and no response. Did not appear to bother him.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't recall him doing any specific test. He poked and prodded. He gave Rocco a big antibiotic shot and said there probably wasn't much of a chance. About two days after the shot, Rocco bounced back nicely and we thought we were out of the woods. About a week or two later he had a relapse and once again seemed on the brink of death. Doc gave him another antibiotic shot and once again he bounced back in a day or so. That was the last relapse and he has seemed fine since.

Okay thank you I am assuming your veterinarian diagnosed him based on the signs he was showing but there was no definitive diagnosis. How long ago was he diagnosed? If he continues to have painful episodes I would wonder if it was related to what occurred in the past. Since he is not showing any back or neck pain, then I think about something in the mouth as a potential problem. Does he have any tartar or any redness of the gums as far as you can see?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Almost three years ago to the day. I'm a Winter Texan and unfortunately, I forgot to bring his records with me but it was in mid to late November 2012.

Okay it was about 3 years ago . So it is probably safe enough to assume that what is going on now is unrelated to what happened 3 years ago. If he has any more bouts, I would try to record them to see if he behavior is consistent or not. Sometimes you can pick up some things when it is recorded that you may miss when it is happening live which may help determine if there is a specific area causing pain.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would you recommend I take him into our vet at this point or wait and see if there are any more episodes?

You may want to take him to your veterinarian just to have a baseline examination with a good prodding and poking so your vet will have something to go on if anything changes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay. Thanks.

You are welcome. Let me know if you have any more questions for me.