Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dog is having joint pains in her front legs how much

Customer Question

My dog is having joint pains in her front legs how much aspirin can I give her she is 45 pounds
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello Kesha,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Kesha and thanks for waiting.

Sorry to hear Xena is having problems, however I have worked out an answer for you ...

1. Aspirin is sometimes prescribed for dogs for pain relief and is regarded as safe as compared to the vast majority of the other over the counter human pain killers / anti-inflammatory meds such as Tylenol { acetaminophen } or Ibuprofen for example all of which should be avoided because of many reports of side effects and toxicity issues in the dog.

2. A typical dose rate for aspirin in the dog would be 5 mg per pound of your dog's body weight given twice daily. The judgement whether to dose with aspirin is of course up to you but here is a link to an accurate web page with all the facts you might need including contraindications : LINK

So to answer your question, from the above a suitable dose for a 45 pound dog would be { 45 pounds x 5 mg } = 225mg twice a day.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again Kesha,

I am just checking back in to see how Xena is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the aspirin dosage ...

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Xena. How is everything going?