Dr Marta Lepes
Dr Marta Lepes, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Owner, practitioner, Owner at Hilo Veterinary Clinic, Inc, Vetmed Hawaii
90005502

Why would my dog drink water off of the back patio. He

Customer Question

Why would my dog drink water off of the back patio. He craves the water after rain or sprinklers left on the patio.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Marta Lepes replied 1 year ago.

Hi Ted,

My name is***** and i will try to answer that question. He likes the taste. Or maybe the texture of the wet concrete. Be careful that there are no chemicals like fertilizer or herbicides that can contaminate the water pooling on the patio. It is fine for Koda to drink from the wet patio. Hope that answers your question. Before you go, please rate this service. Thank you.

Hi Ted,

I was thinking about you dog when I woke up this morning and I forgot to ask you if the concrete had been poured recently. It takes several months for it to cure and there may be some lime leaching out. Lime is irritating so I doubt if he would be drinking water off of the patio.

If it was recently you could contact the company or person who made you patio and ask them how long does it take for the concrete to cure. If it hasn't cured yet don't let Koda drink off of it until it has cured. Let's be extra cautious.

Does that answer your question?

I hope that you are satisfied with my service. Please rate me Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The patio cement is probably 20 years old. I am worried about sodium or other minerals leaching out that would be harmful to him. I wonder if he is deficient in something that makes him crave the patio water or if he likes salt.

Hi Ted,

All comercial pet foods in the US are supposed to be labeled complete and balanced if they are to be fed by themselves. So you dog would not have a deficiency if you feed commercial dog food (That's not to say that all foods are of the same quality).

I did a veterinary literature search and found no information about dangers of licking water of off a concrete floor. And when you think of all of the dogs kept in kennels, where they can lick water off of the concrete floors without

problems, we can assume that it is safe.

Hope that you are reassured. Thanks for the question. It's always good to be challenged.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Koda. How is everything going?
Dr Marta Lepes